Saturday, March 3, 2007

From Leslie A. Goller, Candidate for City Council, District 5

Yes, of course I support reduction of mercury emissions -- that just makes good sense -- and your proposal to lower JEA's mercury emissions by the same amount it raises rates is a sound one. I have already fought for lower mercury emission levels by JEA and other industries and I will continue to do so. I too believe that government must lead by example. A large part of the emissions levels by JEA is caused by its fuel source -- I fought against it using petcoke. I also fought against and stopped the permitting of all new medical waste incinerators (another
large source of mercury emissions) and got increased regulation concessions on existing ones -- ones that they eventually could not meet, which caused them to shut down. It is paramount that we reduce mercury emissions for our health, our quality of life, our environment, and economic
responsibility.

No comments: